Mike Brooks

If you have a post that doesn't fit under any of the categories, post it here.

Moderator: Moderator

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
diamond
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mike Brooks

Post by diamond » Wed May 31, 2006 7:33 am

Bonnie informed me Mike Brooks passed away this weekend. I don't have any other details. Let's keep his family in our prayers.
Diamond

Bonnie
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mike Brooks

Post by Bonnie » Wed May 31, 2006 6:54 pm

I received the following email this morning:

Sorry to inform you in case you have not heard that Mike Brooks died on Sunday morning May 28th. A heart attack is suspected as he never woke up. His wife Jackie had his eyes donated and plans a cremation. Mike was a loyal and fun darter that was in on the founding of the league and played almost every season since then. He always played, knew the games well, and enjoyed the league and all its members. Mike was a member of the REDEYES team for most of his dart life and I enjoyed his company and competitive spirit for many years. He would thank all the league members for the fun times we had together.

In Memory of Mike,

Billy Warlick
REDEYES DART TEAM

I would just like to add that I've known Mike Brooks for 16 years. Mike was a true friend and the last dart team he played on was mine this past fall. Mike had a good spirit and was fun to be around. My thoughts are with his wife Jackie and his family at this time of sorrow. He will be truly missed.

Please, anyone who knew Mike, feel free to add your thoughts to this thread in remembrance.

Bonnie

estevenrjr

Post by estevenrjr » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:55 am

If you didn't know Mike, you didn't know better than to cross behind him while he was throwing in search of your beer, then suddenly you get MULE-KICKED in the knee! Mike would look at you steely faced, realize you didn't mean to impose on his signature shooting style, then turn back for his next throw.
We all learned quickly to make room for Mike while he was at the line, and we learned just as quickly what a great person he was. I am saddened by his passing and will always have fond memories of him as a competitor and a friend.

Steve

diamond

Mike Brooks Memorial

Post by diamond » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:35 am

Mike was a great person in our league, I am proud to have known him. He always gave his best in a match, and would help you out when you needed him. I know he helped me. I suggest we as a league, either hold a special benefit tournament or give a portion of the banquet tournament to his family.
Mike is the most recent person we've lost from our league, perhaps we should set up a fund for the future and name it for our dearly departed comrades. Let me know what you think.
Diamond

Amy Riffe

In Memory of "Mike"

Post by Amy Riffe » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:51 am

I'm not a "Dart Player"...but Billy sent me this link after I had contacted him about the possibility of the Dart League doing something for Mike's family.
Mike was our neighbor and friend...as well as the best, most precise, "Jim-Dandy Plumber" we've ever known!!! He was always jovial...loved a good time...always kept an eye out for the kids and the animals on the street. Never met an animal who didn't absolutely LOVE Mike!!! He was always eager to help his neighbors out...especially with a "plumbing emergency"...and believe ME! In our 104 year old house, we've had MORE than our fair share of them! He did "Beautiful Work" and always went the extra mile on each and every job.
He had absolutely no problem showing up and helping my husband "dig out" the filthy mess when our kitchen ceiling fell...and achieved the near-impossible by completely re-routing all our plumbing to the upstairs so that we could install the new ceiling.
We had good times together on the front porch, hanging out, listening to music, throwing back a few brewsky's and listening to "Mike Stories". He'd even come down and play cards with my "In-Laws" when they'd come to visit, so that my father-in-law would be entertained.
He was a great guy who loved and took great care of his wife and their little "canine children". A big, "Bear" of a dude...with a heart equally as big, yet "tender".
We're going to miss him SO VERY MUCH around here!!! It doesn't seem quite real, just yet. I find myself, still, looking up the street watching for him to ramble in and out, as we got so used to his always "being around".
There's a marked quietness and sadness that has pervaded our little neighborhood, and it's going to take some time getting used to it. You don't really think about "the comfort" in hearing an old plumbing van crank-up every morning...until it's no longer a familiar sound to your day...or the delight he took in "sneaking-up" on you and trying to scare the "P-Turkey" out of you, smiling like the cat that just swallowed the canary!
He was funny...and he was smart. He had a great mind for "numbers". When our son was having trouble in fourth grade with his multiplication tables, Mike just started talking to him one day and giving him little "tips" about ways to be able to remember "this one or that one". He turned-on a light for him... He's been fine ever since.
We're going to miss those "little things" around here! I appreciate so much what you, the people of his "Dart Family" are doing to remember him. Anything you might be able to do to help support Jackie through this most difficult time in her life will be so greatly appreciated!!!! If I can help-out in any way, please let me know. Billy knows how to get in contact with me.
Sincerely,
Amy Riffe

BILLY WARLICK

MIKE BROOKS

Post by BILLY WARLICK » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:02 pm

IT WAS MANY YEARS I PICKED UP MIKE BROOKS ON TUESDAYS AT HIS HOUSE, CHANGED CLOTHES, AND HEADED TO THE DART MATCH USUALLY NEEDING THE 15 MINUTE GRACE PERIOD TO GET THERE. MIKE WOULD WATCH HIS TUESDAY PLUMBING JOBS AND MAKE SURE THEY DID NOT GET IN THE WAY OF DARTS. THERE WERE TIMES WHEN HE FUDGED A LIE TO NOT TAKE A PLUMBING JOB THAT WOULD MESS UP DART NIGHT. MIKE WAS A FAITHFUL REDEYE TEAM MEMBER AND HE KEPT ME GOING FOR MANY YEARS WITH HIS FUN SPIRIT AND COMPETITIVE NATURE. HE BEAT PLENTY OF BETTER DARTERS WITH SIMPLE MATH AND HIS DETERMINED EFFORT. MIKE WAS LIKE A PUPPY DOG WAGGING HIS DOG READY TO CHASE A BALL IN HIS FEELING ABOUT DARTS. HIS FUN SPIRIT MADE ME KEEP GOING FOR YEARS. WE PLAYED OUT OF MITCHELLS(NOW NORTHSIDE), GATSBYS, MACK KELLS, BLACK FOREST, OVERTIME, STEVENS PUB, NORTONS, AND MAYBE A PLACE OR TWO I CAN'T REMEMBER. ROAD TRIPS TO HENDERSONVILLE WERE ALWAYS FUN EVENTS AND WE EVEN JUST MISSED A CAR WRECK THAT FROM ONE TO FOUR OF US COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED IN ONE NIGHT ON THE WAY TO LAURELS. WE MADE THE UPWARD ROAD EXIT AND ON THAT STRETCH NEAR THE SCHOOL I NOTICED A CARS HEADLIGHTS OFF TO THE RIGHT SPEEDING TOWARD OUR ROAD AND SLOWED ENOUGH TO WATCH THE CAR SAIL THROUGH OUR ROAD JUST IN FRONT OF US AND HEAD INTO THE CORN FIELD ABOUT 15 TO 20 FEET DOWN JUST MISSING CARS COMING AT US THE OTHER WAY. I THINK WE WERE SUPPOSED TO STOP AND SEE THE COPS SINCE WE WITNESSED IT BUT WE WERE LATE TO DARTS AT LAURELS SO WE LEFT THAT TO SOMEBODY ELSE TO HANDLE. MIKE COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED THAT NIGHT AS HE SAT WITH ME SHOTGUN LIKE HE DID MANY MANY TIMES ON TUESDAY NIGHT. KNOWING MIKE SO WELL FOR SO MANY YEARS WE TALKED ABOUT EVERYTHING AND WE DID TALK ABOUT DYING AND WHO WOULD GO FIRST. WE PROMISED TO HELP EACH OTHER IF THAT BECAME POSSIBLE FOR WHOEVER WENT FIRST. WHEN YOU KNOW SOMEBODY WELL AND LOVE BEING WITH THEM SOMETIMES YOU TOUCH ALL THE BASES IN RELATING TO EACH OTHER AND HAVING A BOND LIKE DARTS THAT CAN LAST A LIFETIME. IF ANY OF YOU DARTERS HAVE TEAMS OR FRIENDS YOU LOVE BEING WITH THEN CHERISH THOSE TIMES TOGETHER. IF ANY OF YOU HAVE DART TEAM MEMBERS THAT LIFT YOU LIKE MIKE BROOKS LIFTED ME EVERY TUESDAY THEN HUG THAT PERSON AND THANK THEM ONCE IN A WHILE.

MIKES WIFE JACKIE PLANS A WAKE SOMEDAY SOON AND A BLIND DRAW FUNDRAISER TO GIVE HER SOME FUNDS IN MIKES MEMORY BY LEAGUE DARTERS IS A GOOD IDEA. IN FACT, A BLIND DRAW TO RAISE FUNDS IS A GOOD LEAGUE IDEA FOR EVERY MEMBER WE LOSE IN THE YEARS AHEAD.

BILLY WARLICK
REDEYES DART TEAM SALUTE TO MIKE BROOKS

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:39 am

To the friends and family of Mike Brooks. What can be said that hasn't already been said. I can say that i was one of the many that new mike for many years, we always joked and kidded around with each other about silly stuff like shooting techniques with his signature (the mule), and always about his team the red eyes to move back up to the A league. I can say he will be saddly missed by me. It just goes to show you that we just never know when it will be our turn , so we should treat each day as if it were our last. I guess it was realy time mike for you to move up.

>---> |

Post by >---> | » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:40 am

Anonymous wrote:To the friends and family of Mike Brooks. What can be said that hasn't already been said. I can say that i was one of the many that new mike for many years, we always joked and kidded around with each other about silly stuff like shooting techniques with his signature (the mule), and always about his team the red eyes to move back up to the A league. I can say he will be saddly missed by me. It just goes to show you that we just never know when it will be our turn , so we should treat each day as if it were our last. I guess it was realy time mike for you to move up.

Sorry i forgot to log in